Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Yarn Along


Joining with Ginny at Small Thing's for this week's Yarn Along .

This week I have been working mainly on Phoebe's Phoebe's sweater. I have finished the body and now just have the sleeves and hood left to do. Both involve picking up stitches, so I need to make sure I am mentally present, which actually rules out a lot of my knitting time. I normally sit down with my knitting at the very end of the day, when the dishes are done and the kids are in bed-- and sometimes, by that point, there is not much energy left for thinking! No picture of the sweater today-- but hopefully a finished one soon!

I also decided to start myself another one of these cowls (shown in the photos). I just finished one a couple of weeks ago, but ran out of the yarn I was using-- and it was a random skein I purchased when a yarn shop was closing. It is still wearable, but less thick than I wanted, and it has been nagging at me ever since. The sweater I am knitting for Phoebe is too big to bring anywhere, so this has been my on-the-go/ my brain is too tired to think about a sweater project. I am using scrap yarn from my stash (yes!) and am loving how the color scheme is turning out.


Last week I mentioned I was reading The Boom: How Fracking Ignited the American Energy Revolution and Changed the World by Russel Gold. A lot of you were interested in the book, even requesting a review. Well, here it is: Honestly, I didn't quite read the whole book. I skipped about 100 pages and came back for the last chapter. I was thinking the book was more about fracking and its impacts... and instead, most of the book was naming men who own oil companies and telling how much they paid for this or that. I am sure that information is interesting to someone, just not me. Snore. I enjoyed the beginning, where it talked about the logistics of fracking, how the process works and the impacts of this oil boom on the workers and small communities. The end chapter has a few paragraphs on the environmental issues. And the whole middle is like a really boring story of rich guys. Just not for me. Sorry to get your hopes up!

Currently I am reading The Martian by Andy Weir. It is so interesting! A fiction story where a man gets left for dead on Mars. I am completely captivated!

Oh yeah, and Moshi wanted to say hi for yarn along today!

What are you reading? What are you knitting?


Pin It Now!

10 comments:

  1. Love the blues you are using - it will look lovely. Look forward to seeing Phoebe's sweater. I read Freddie's Blanket to my six year old (who loves knitting) and he really wants to make Freddie now. He was super impressed that a storybook had knitting patterns in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, The Martian looks like a good read, I have added it to my list of reads for this year :)
    That cowl looks lovely, I look forward to seeing yours when it is done.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that blue makes me smile. And the puppy makes an adorable background feature!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute doggie! I love your blue colorway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that grey loop cowl in my favorites!
    Loving the blues and greens of your current project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love that yarn color! At the minute and very slowly I am reading The heroine's journey by Maureen Murdock, really interesting reading.

    Happy day!

    Lluisa xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that pattern and I've modified it to perfection. The blues are so pretty and so fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your cowl is working up beautifully!!! the multiple shades of blue really draws me in :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the colors of your cowl. Hi Moshi!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete