Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Sunday, November 10, 2013

A 6th Birthday Sleepover

Last Thursday, my little guy turned 6. In the past, Finn has always wanted huge parties where he invited all of his friends. This year, however, he asked to just have 2 of his very best friends over for a sleepover. Nothing crazy. No 25 kid guest list.  I didn't have to have tons of food for a bunch of kids and parents, I didn't need my house to be spotless, and I didn't have to spend much money.  It sounded perfect to me.
We decided to make it an indoor camping party. We put the tent up in the living room (and it took up our entire living room, literally). I made some paper trees to make it look forest-y, and his birthday bunting said "CAMP FINN".
Dinner was beans and rice and quesadillas, per Finn's request. A very camping-esque dinner, right? I made s'mores cupcakes (chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting topped with graham cracker crumble, mini marshmallows, and a square of chocolate). They were a huge hit. I also made marshmallows dipped in chocolate and graham crackers, just because it sounded fun.
Party bags were handed out after cupcakes, as each one included a flashlight, a couple of glow sticks, and an autumn gnome doll in a sleeping bag.
After eating, playing many games of hide and seek, and some flashlight wars, the kids got to watch some movies from inside the tent. And they were laughing, screaming, and having a good ol' time. In fact, everything was great except the actual sleeping part. I finally got them to quiet down around 11:15 and then the three of them were up and at 'em at 5:30. 5:30! We definitely had some tired and cranky kids after that.









Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. What a great party! I love the outdoors camping theme. Great treats too. Happy 6th birthday to Finn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a birthday party. Sounds like a ton of fun was had, well except for the 5:30 wake up call and the cranky kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds absolutely amazing! Good fun with best friends, that's a Birthday that will be remembered!
    Can't believe he's 6 already... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for having Solomon over for the sleepover! The little acorn doll is so cute!

    ReplyDelete