Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Yarn Along


Linking up with Ginny at Small Things for an April Yarn Along.

I actually got some reading done while in Mexico and of the 3 books I brought, I finished 2 and read about 100 pages of the 3rd, Moby Duck. I'm still working on Moby Duck. It is information-intensive and so pretty slow reading. The author of the book writes about his quest to search out some plastic bath toys that were lost at sea. The book gets into ocean currents, problems with plastics, and the issue of pollution, all topics that I teach in my environmental science classes. I am enjoying it, but also finding that for me, there are just way too many details that don't quite pertain to the storyline. Over the weekend, the kids were sick and I was feeling sort of blah myself, and decided I needed a good ol' novel to read. Something quick and easy, and funny as well. I chose This is Where I Leave You, a book that was passed along by mom mother a while back. So far it is funny, albeit in a very dark humor sort of way.

Before Mexico, I managed to finish up this knit whale for Phoebe's Easter basket (photo below). It was quick and easy. I left off the eyes because I used a wool-acrylic mix from my stash, and the patterned called for needle felting the eyes on. I decided to just leave them off for now, mostly out of laziness. I brought my In-Threes cardigan that I am knitting for Phoebe along to Mexico. I knit 2 rows while I was on the plane there and haven't touched it (or any other knitting) since! Ahh! I lost my groove. I think the warm weather that we had and Mexico, and since our return to Portland, has pushed knitting back into the farthest recesses of my brain and I can't seem to get inspired to pick up my needles. But, I now have 3 WIPs, and I know once I decide to pick up those needles this week, I will be back on track. Or at least I hope so.

What are you reading? What are you knitting?


Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. the whale is fab! your books sound really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fascinating book. But I know what you mean about too many details making it tough to get into. The whale is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great whale! maybe you could just sew a bead for each eye? Or leave him eyeless. Love him either way! Quite the reading stack you're showing off today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your whale! And I'm sure you'll be right back at it before you know it :) Happy that you had a good vacation! ~paula

    ReplyDelete