Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, April 1, 2013

Our Spring Garden


This weekend we were blessed with magnificently warm and sunny weather. We were long overdue for some gardening, and the perfect weather was just the motivation that we needed. I did a lot of weeding, we composted a couple of our garden beds (with compost from our compost bin-exciting!), and we did quite a bit of planting. Here is what we planted for our spring garden:
  • snap peas (I planted these about 2 weeks ago, but planted several more seeds this weekend)
  • green onions
  • spinach
  • lettuce
  • potatoes
  • a bunch of flower seeds including morning glories, moonflowers, daisies, and a children's flower mix we found at our neighborhood nursery
I also hope to get some beets, radishes and mustard greens in the ground early this week.

The perennials in our garden are coming back to life: the grape vine is budding, bulbs are flowering and the herbs are turning green. Last fall's kale and broccoli is flowering (which I have left to attract pollinators). The kids have been eager to help with the garden and Finn has been excited to see how fast the snap peas are starting to grow (he is eagerly awaiting peas that he can eat!).  The sunshine has been amazing and I am starting to dream big gardening plans for this summer.

Do you have a garden? What are you growing?










Pin It Now!

5 comments:

  1. Oh we have a garden alright, it is unfortunately still covered in snow! It is melting, slowly and I am so looking forward to getting my hands dirty.

    Your pictures are beautiful, enjoy your time in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All we are growing right now are radishes in egg shells - indoors!! There is sill snow on the ground here but, like Kim says above, it is melting! We keep checking every morning for blooming tulips but none so far!

    Your pictures are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Taryn, I love your garden pictures. We are growing snap peas too! I am hoping for better luck with my peas this year than last. We also have squash, cucumbers and peppers already coming up. A new garden is always very exciting. Enjoy your spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I haven't had great luck with starting from seeds due to the lack of sunshine we get on my property (tall tall trees with lots of shade). Any recommendations for me? Haha...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to enjoy your gardening for now. It's still too chilly to think about gardening. We mainly do just summer vegetables. Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete