Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Yarn Along


Linking up with Ginny at Small Things for another Yarn Along.

I finally finished JK Rowling's Casual Vacancy. In the end, I enjoyed it, but I wasn't really wrapped up in the story until the last 100 pages or so. There were just so many characters with different stories that a lot of first couple hundred pages was just keeping them all straight and remembering what had happened. So, yes, I enjoyed it, but less than I had expected to. I have know started reading Garbage Land: on the Secret Trail of Trash by Elizabeth Royte. I am trying to choose a book for my students to read next term, and this is one of my options. So far it's good. Packed full of good info and actually pretty captivating for a book about garbage.

In the knitting world, I just finished up a wee baby milo for a little one still in the belly..... pictures to come soon. I am now deciding between picking up Finn's monster that I started last month or starting this whale for Phoebe. I hope they will both be done in time to be Easter presents. And, as for my surprise project that I was working on last week: I made a Milo for one of my best friend's daughter's first birthday. I decided to leave the cables out and use 2 different yarns and I was pretty happy with how it turned out. Here are a few pictures.



What are you reading? What are you knitting?



Pin It Now!

11 comments:

  1. What a lovely vest! you are so talented ~ and I do like the solid with the varigated.

    I must admit that I am a JK Rowling flunkie. And I don't admit that to many ~ too many things to keep track of in one book for this attention deprived gal. Although I had a thought this weekend that a Rowling book on tape might be the solution!

    Have a good day! ~ Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, such cute projects! That book sounds good. My oldest son is applying for a job with the government where he would reclaim desert land that has been trashed and try to get it back in its natural state. I hope he gets the job. He is very much an environmentalist (and I'm happy to say that much of it comes from what he learned at home). Your posts about the class you teach and the environmental books you read always remind me of him. Have your read anything by Terry Tempest Williams? I would highly recommend her book "Refuge." It is not about garbage but it is about another kind of pollution (radiation) and how it affected her family. Clearly it is one of the most memorable (hauntingly so) books I have ever read. Thanks for the idea and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the vest turned out wonderfully. great yarn choices.
    the book sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the milo is so pretty!
    And the little one still in the belly? Your belly?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my belly. But a wonderful friend from my youth who has been trying for a very long time, which means we are all very eager to meet him. He is due in about 1 month.

      Delete
  5. that baby milo is gorgeous!! I just couldn't get into that book but my daughter loved it. I gave up after 178 pages...oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that milo is awesome. I knit up the whale not too long ago for Reece, quick and easy knit. The pattern is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have casual vacancy and cannot pass the first 10 pages... Will try again. Love the milo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that vest is SOOO cute.
    I started knitting too late when my kids realized they could say "No, I won't wear that." Then again, my stuff didn't look anywhere as cute as yours.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love our sweater and it fits perfectly, thank you!

    ReplyDelete