Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Weekending


Happily joining in with Amanda at Habit of Being for another weekending post.

This weekend was luxurious.
Friday night the kids and I picked hubby up from work
and used our Christmas money to buy Apple TV,
a nifty little gadget that lets us stream Netflix right onto our TV.
It's pretty rad, I must say.....
no more cricked necks while Todd and I both try and get a good view of the computer.
For dinner we went out for Ethiopian, a family favorite,
and we all went to bed happy and full.

Saturday morning we awoke to frost and a very cold morning
(for Portland, at least!)
But the skies quickly turned blue and we enjoy a freezing, yet sunny, day.
We let the dogs run at the dog park
and then we all headed to the community center for a family swim.
Phoebe had a blast
( I think she thought she was actually swimming!)
Then I had a chance to run a few errand sans kids--
a trip for yarn, groceries for dinner, and the library.
In the late afternoon, I had to take my 11 year old dog,
Puppy Cow, (yes, that is his real name) to the vet.
He has a growth on his bottom and, the bad news is....
it looks suspicious.
So, in the next week or so, he will need to have surgery to have it removed,
and biopsied.
Fingers crossed that it is not cancerous.....
Thinking about what the future holds for Puppy Cow
has made me realize, cancer or not, that his time left is likely short.
And, before it is too late, I need to take some time to be with him,
to soak him up, and to love him as much as I can.
We lost 3 dogs within a year and a half a couple years back,
and I still regret not spending enough time with those dogs in their last months.
Anyways....
Saturday night Todd headed to his office to work on taxes
and I had a whole night to myself to read, knit and watch movies.
It was bliss.

Sunday morning I drank tea and lazed around.
We ate a big breakfast, with Todd's (almost) famous sweet potato biscuits.
A quick walk with the dogs-
Another chilly sunny day!
I had a chance to go to the gym,
had an easy nacho lunch,
and did a little sewing and a little reading.
In the afternoon I headed to a Naked Lady Party.
Have you ever been to one?
You  bring your old clothes you don't want
and swap for other gal's unwanted clothes.
Anything left over is donated.
I cleared out my closet and came home with a bag of goodies.
It was fantastic!
Dinner was soup and salad
followed by family movie night.
Now, the kids are in bed (yet not quite asleep)
and I am ready to snuggle under the covers
and knit.

Fingers crossed that this week will be a little easier,
and Finn will re-find his rhythm at school. 

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!!


Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely. Sorry about your dog, we lost two in a year, and it is hard.

    Finn looks so happy in your picture :)

    Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope puppy cow has good results and no matter what you get to spend the time you need with him. It's so much fun to bring a puppy into the house and it's so sad to get to their old age :(

    your weekend sounds like it was filled to the brim with good times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes, the all important rhythm. it's hard to get back on track once you're off, isn't it? hoping finn finds his rhythm!

    ReplyDelete