Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Science and History in Action

Yesterday, the kids and I headed across the river to Vancouver, Washington. First stop: The Water Resource Education Center. We had a chance to see frogs and fish, learn about wetland animals, see what happens to our storm water runoff, and learn about the impact of our trash (and the kids got to play in their cool water-themed play area as well!). We also learned that you shouldn't flush wipes down your toilet, even the ones that claim to be flushable. We are guilty of this, so now we plan on changing our ways.I think Finn, at 4 1/2, was a little too young to grasp many of the concepts that were presented, but for a free adventure, I think it was worthwhile.
Next stop: Ft. Vancouver, the historic fur trading hub of the Pacific Northwest. We got to see some really old buildings, a lot of canons, and learn about the lifestyle of traders living in the 1800s. Plus, they had some amazing gardens. I think we all would have learned a lot more if we could have taken a tour, but with 2 littles, I just didn't think it was a good idea.









Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. I sure do miss that place. We lived in Vancouver, Wa when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a good photographer. Love these pics.

    ReplyDelete