Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Some Upcycled Goodies

A few weeks back I was able to find a wee bit of time to do some sewing and made Phoebe a couple of upcycled dresses to add to her wardrobe.

The first was an old t-shirt of mine that I turned into a dress just by simply cutting out a dress shape, sewing the sides together and adding bias tape to sturdy-up the underarms.


The second was a skirt of mine that was just a bit too short for my liking and so it sat in the closet and never got worn. I made this one into a simple dress by sewing the sides together and adding ribbon strips as straps.

I also managed to whip up a few new pairs of shorts for Finn from fabric I had at the house.... there is just something I love about a kid in mama-made shorts!

I have a whole tub of old clothes in our garage, all of which I eventually hope to upcycle into something more useful. But, finding the time is a major challenge. My sewing machine is in my bedroom, which is also where Phoebe sleeps. I rarely have a chance to sew unless Miss P is sleeping, yet the noise from the machine will wake her up, so I can't sew while she is sleeping... So, I have to sew in snippets here and there when Todd can watch the kids and I can sneak away. Although I do think I relish my sewing moments these days as I seem to have so very few of them! Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. These are all so cute! And when the heck did Finn get so darn big?! You have beautiful kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to getting into some more sewing one of these days! My sewing machine is out but all my fabric goodies are still packed. I love those upcycled outfits! And Finn in his mama mades - definitely cute. I love that fun fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love everything you made, the dresses are so cute. I need to find more time for sewing, but so hard in our little home. Like you at night it makes a lot of noise and during the day...well you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, she is so big and so cute!!!! Love her hair! Great sewing! Sorry your machine isn't accessable all the time. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay, very cute stuff! I need to make my boy some shorts so bad. I got fabric last year for him and still haven't made them..poor guy.
    I know what you mean about not having time. My sewing room is still in boxes and I have been sewing Etsy orders out in the kitchen.
    we should have a sewing margarita party some night....yep always need to throw a margarita in there ;)
    come over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss P is lookin' mighty cute these days! Great pieces, Taryn. I hear you about the challenge of finding time to sew. I haven't sat in front of my machine in weeks.

    ReplyDelete