Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, April 2, 2012

A Year Long Adventure: Month 12: Say NO to to-go containers

I can't believe this is month 12 of my year long adventure! My how time does fly.... It was 11 months ago when I came up with the idea to try and decrease my impact on  our planet by making one small set of changes each month. Some of my changes have stuck and others did not turn out so well, but I have learned a lot in the process.
I hate wasting food. So when we go out to eat and don't finish everything, I love to take it home and have tomorrow's lunch. But, each time I do this, I cringe at having to take a container to put that food in. I hate taking things for a single use!! Occasionally, when we are headed to a restaurant where I know I will have leftovers, I will remember to grab a jar or storage container to bring with me. But, more often than not, I forget.
This month, I am making a promise that I am going to anticipate leftovers, and bring containers with me for each meal. I am also going to forgo carry-out containers (except, I am going to let pizza boxes slide because they are compostable in our curb-side compost, and so I feel less guilty about that). In the past, I have asked restaurants if I could bring in my own containers to put the to-go food in. Some places have declined, due to health violations, but others accepted, albeit with a confused grin on their face. Sadly, once time my husband brought in our containers and saw them dump our to-go food from a to-go container into our reusable ones. I am sure those to-go containers headed straight for the trash.
My husband always get embarrassed when I ask to use our own containers for take-out. But, you would think the restaurant would be happy... they are saving money, right? So, this month, if we get food to-go, I will have my own container.
And, next month I will give a synopsis of my entire year-long adventure.. with my successes and failures included! Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, such a great thing to try and do. We don't eat out much, maybe once a month, so we don't see much waste that way.

    Can you imagine if everyone took their own containers for take out food or leftovers - wow, what am impact that would have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Taryn! You are an inspiration! I always cringe, too, although I'm a wimp about asking...

    ReplyDelete