Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Yarn Along and A Lucky Winner (That's ME!)

Joining in with Ginny at Small Things for this week's yarn along. I managed to finish up Phoebe's tea top this week. I used this pattern, but I knitted it in the round instead of flat and I added buttonholes and buttons instead of the ties. I like how it came out, especially with the buttons I found in my stash! My Emma Star hat also finished blocking. I like how it turned out, however, I sort of feel that it's not quite "me", which I had actually anticipated happening while I was knitting it. I have forced myself to wear it a couple of times, and I think it is starting to grow on me. This week, I got to cast on 2 new projects, for the first time in quite a while. Ahhh, the fun of casting on. I started this sweater for Phoebe in a beautiful coral color Malabrigo yarn. I also casted-on a surprise knit in my sparkly grey yarn that I got from the Yarn Crawl a couple of weeks ago. I think it may end up being a gift for someone, so I am going to keep that one a secret, at least for now.
I am still reading Eaarth by Bill McKibben, and am actually close to done. It is powerful (and incredibly scary) and I have decided to have my class read it next term. A review to come soon. I am also reading Morality for Beautiful Girls, the 3rd in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. With all of the doomsday reading in Eaarth, I needed something a bit more lighthearted.
In other exciting news, our very own Ginny over at Small Things hosted a giveaway for 8 patterns from Mamma 4 Earth (aka Linda) who blogs at Natural Suburbia. I have been a follower of her blog for awhile, as well as a fan of her patterns! (If you remember the aardvark I knit Phoebe a few weeks ago.. well that was a Mamma 4 Earth pattern-- so cute! And the pattern was very easy to follow, always a plus). Anyways, the winner was ME and I spent quite some time mulling over her pattern selection yesterday in order to decide which 8 to choose. It was hard because they are all so fantastic! Thanks to both Linda and Ginny for this great giveaway! I think I will have my hands full with some stuffies to knit!!
What are you reading and knitting?
Pin It Now!

11 comments:

  1. I think your hat is totally You and looks great!
    Congratulations on your win. Linda as some amazing patterns so I know you had fun looking through them.
    Have a lovely yarn along day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gosh. Eaarth is on my to read list but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for so much doomsday stuff. We'll see....can't believe you won!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the top of your hat is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Emma Star hat is really beautiful.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. tea-top and hat both fantastic! Congratulations on winning the give away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the vest and the color of the buttons just makes it pop! Your hat is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phoebe looks so cute (and grownup!!) in her tea top! And your hat is so pretty. :) I also love the Small Things sweater. Can't wait to see yours!
    Lucky you on the win! Linda does have such adorable patterns. Have fun with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, the tea top is so cute and looks lovely on Phoebe. And your hat is beautiful, love it!!

    Congrats on the win, lucky you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that top! You are right - the buttons really do push it to over the top cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They both look great! Phoebe does look really grown up in that picture, i love the color of her top too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! It's such fun to win a gorgeous pattern. Your knits are gorgeous! The color of the tea top is so cheerful and springy!
    xo,
    Ang (peach coglo)

    ReplyDelete