Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Yarn Along

Joining in with Ginny over at Small Things for another Yarn Along. I have had one of those weeks where I just want to cast-on new projects and don't seem to be finishing anything....
I am really almost done with Phoebe's dress now. I have finished the dress and blocked it, and I have also knitted the flowers I am going to add to it. But, for some reason, I just can't make myself actually sew the flowers on. I am also almost done with Phoebe's pixie hat. I probably only have 6 rows left and then I need to stitch it up, add the band and block it. But, I made a little mistake, and one of my rows is offset. I don't think anyone can tell except for me, but of course it is all I can look at, and it has made me less motivated to finish it up. I also started this knit monster for Finn for a Valentine's present. And, I also started knitting up a little present for a baby-to-be, which I won't share here just in case.. I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise. So, as I said, lots of casting on. Hopefully, next week I will have lots of finished things to show you!
I started reading Snowflower and the Secret Fan, which I was actually inspired to read after I watched the movie last weekend. I found the movie to be just so-so, but the topic seemed interesting and I wanted to learn more. I figured (correctly) that the book would have much more detail. I also just picked up The Big Thirst from the library. It correlates pretty well with what I am teaching in class this term, so I figured I would give it a go.
What are you reading? What are you knitting? Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. There really must be something in the air with all this startitis! I had a little talk with myself and made a promise to finish at least one thing before casting on something else.
    Happy Yarn Along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there...I've seen you around blogland and thought I'd take a peek...I know what you mean about starting things and leaving the last itty bits to be finished. I seem to already start a new project in my mind when I'm only halfway through the current project. I have knit two Stella Pixie's and loved them. And they are one of those projects that had to be just so for me. I made mine a bit bigger and I regret that. I look forward to seeing your dress...I have made one and a half for my 3 year old daughter so far...maybe another soon?
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine was telling me recently about how Lisa See is a favorite author of hers. Does the dress need flowers? Maybe it's fine without them? Sounds like your needles are getting a good workout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of that book/movie- thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get that way towards the end of my projects as well, uh hem...star baby afghan that I started in August!
    That hat and dress are so cute, can't wait to see them modeled on Phoebe!
    I wanted to read Snowflower and The Secret Fan before I saw the movie, but then I saw that the movie was out and I watched it, now I cant bring myself to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get startitis every couple months - I think it's contagious, I usually catch it if I spend too much time on Ravelry... I'm looking forward to seeing your projects completed. thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh I feel the same when I know I made a mistake. I get distracted and unmotivated even though I know no one else can tell. Love that yarn you are using! I am sure everything will work out in the end.
    xo,
    Ang (peach coglo)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i do know how you feel, starting so many different projects, at some point the motivation comes to finish too. and you'll have all these wonderful knits!

    ReplyDelete