Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Earth From Above: A Review

Earth From Above has been around for awhile, but the 10th anniversary edition came out recently and we snagged it from the library. The book is amazing. There are aerial photos from around the globe from things like glacial rivers in Greenland to fabric drying in India. The photos are gorgeous, fascinating, and are all related to environmental issue.
Each chapter of the book includes a summary of a different environmental issue, things like ecosystem decline, population growth, agricultural impacts, water pollution, biodiversity, overfishing, climate change, the current energy crises, and micro-credit. The pictures within each chapter often relate to the summary topic discussed.
This book would be a perfect parallel for the class I teach.. it basically sums up almost all of the topics that I discuss into 3 or 4 page segments and has these fantastic pictures to go with it. If the book was not so gargantuan and enormously heavy (and probably expensive too) I would recommend my students using this as their textbook-- or at least as a companion!
I have had this book checked out from the library for about 2 months now, and Finn and I have really enjoyed slowly going through the book, looking at the photos, and talking about what we see. I am a total sucker for photographs, as well as all things environmental, but this book is definitely worth a look. I only wish I could go visit all of these places in person.. (sigh). Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I just finished a book maybe similar to that (I'm not sure) in that it has a lot of photos. It was called earth matters an encyclopedia of ecology. Just light reading that was fun to share with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally have the travel bug. Wish I could see them all too. So not in the cards for us :(

    ReplyDelete