Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, January 9, 2012

A New Year's Cleanse

Awhile back, I decided that I wanted to do a food cleanse. Not a super-intense cleanse, as I am still breastfeeding, but just enough that it could sort of re-set my body and my eating habits. In general, I don't eat much meat and I eat lots of fruit and veggies. But,.... I also eats lots of white flour and I do tend to have dessert almost every day, even if it is only a square of dark chocolate. I couldn't possibly have given up these things during the holidays, when food is constantly on my mind, but now that a new year has arrived, I am ready to begin.
So, for the next 3 weeks (if I can hang), I will be abstaining from gluten, meat, processed sugar, coffee and alcohol. I am hoping that I will have more energy and just feel better and cleaner. I am also a little hopeful that going gluten-free my help to improve my asthma (and also a little nervous about it doing so, which would mean I would need to give it up permanently). I am a little anxious about what I am going to eat for snacks (I tend not to get filled up by just a piece of fruit), but I think (hope) that after a few days my body will adjust. I am envisioning a lot of salads in my future....
So, wish me luck! Here is to a cleaner me in 2012! Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great cleanse! I want to do something similar, but I'm not sure how far I can safely push it while pregnant. I'm already not drinking caffeine or alcohol (obviously) and I only eat meat on rare occasions, so processed sugar and flour are probably the next things to eliminate. Good luck! Can't wait to hear the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing one too. We are following the ideas of a book called Fit For Life. I was hoping for more energy but so far, its had the opposite effect. Sticking it out though. I've lost 2.2 pounds this week.....so thats encouraging. HOWEVER, I'm NOT giving up coffee. Especially since I have no energy. It helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing how your cleanse goes! I could NEVER give up my coffee, that's for sure. And I do like my carbs, especially in the winter. If I could be sure to gain extra energy, I might well try it - does it have to be all or nothing? When it comes to eating, I just kind of follow my body's lead. I knew after the holidays, I was eating far too many sweets - I could just feel it - and I adjusted that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck! You will feel amazing. I've led several raw-food cleanse, and the response is always tremendous. I think any type of cleanse does the body wonders. If you struggle at all giving up things, turn it around: Include more of. After a week or two of a cleanse I find myself 'cheating' here and there, but when I give myself the mind set to include more veggies, more water, more green smoothies- I have no room left for the bad!

    but maybe that's just me. I'm a cheater with food. I have to be sneaky to trick myself into sticking with a cleanse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is awesome! I think the husband and I are going to "go raw" for February. Sounds a little similar to your cleanse! Let me know how you feel! = )

    ReplyDelete