Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Elf on the Shelf

Have you guys heard about the Elf on the Shelf? We got it as a present last year, and it has proved to be a great one. Basically, each night while your children are sleeping, your elf flies to the North Pole to report on the naughty and nice behavior of your child and when he arrives back at your house, he hides in a different location for your child to discover.
So, the first thing Finn does each morning during the month of December is jump out of bed to find Muga (that is our elf). He has a blast and it has become a lovely morning ritual.
The problem is having to remember to move the elf each night after the kids are asleep. It seems easy, right? But some days leave me physically exhausted and brain-dead (I think that is in the job description for "mom", right?), and some nights I am ready for bed as soon as the kids are down. Moving an elf just isn't on top on my to-do list. Now that we are 3 weeks into December, I have a pretty good routine going, but during the first couple of weeks there was more than one occasion where I woke up in a panic the middle of the night remembering that I needed to go and move Muga... and we have had at least one or two close calls where we had to move him in the morning without Finn seeing.
Anyways, I had no clue how popular the Elf on the Shelf was until I started reading other blog posts and facebook posts about it. And then I started finding out about some moms who apparently have no trouble remembering to move their elf and in fact find the time to create entire elf-scenarios while their children are sleeping. If you are in need of some pee-in-your-pants laughing during the hustle and bustle of the holidays, then check out this blog post making fun of over-achieving elf moms. Sorry if any of you are one of these moms.. I actually think many of these ideas are terrific and would be so fun for Finn... if I didn't have to cook, clean, work or sleep.
But, we love our Muga and love this fun tradition that we have begun.
Do you Elf on the Shelf? Pin It Now!

5 comments:

  1. Hmm, I heard a coworker describing this last week, and I thought it sounded kind-of scary and coercive, at least the way they were using it (a constant, "the elf is watching -- are you behaving?" type thing). But I can also see how it might be a fun tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use it more as a hide-and-seek game to start the day, although there have been a couple of times that I have reminded Finn of the elf's ability to report his behavior to Santa.... but mostly it is just about finding the funny place that he is hiding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opps! Sorry about the last post, since I have trouble commenting often I was checking to see if I could post before writing something only to find it wouldn't go through... ANYWAYS, I too have seen friends posting crazy elaborate photos of their elf and wonder how they have the energy...I try and make myself feel better by telling myself they must not have three kids, or else they have a baby who sleeps, or better behaved kids, or their life must be in some way easier than mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In an effort to not confuse our kids with our religious views of Christmas, we don't do Santa. But if we did, we would TOTALLY do this! Sounds great! I bet it helps keep Finn in check huh? LOL! That's what I like about this idea. I have a friend who does the whole scenarios for their elf. Looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen SO many posts about Elves on Shelves (is that the plural?), and even though their faces sort of creep me out, I am jealous of the fact that pretty much everyone who has tried it has reported their kids enjoying them and often behaving better to impress Santa. For some reason, Trinity has been acting out all month, and I almost wish we had one just to threaten her with. Haha. I would probably forget to move it every night. I'm terrible about stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete