Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Rhythm of Family: A Review

I am sure that most of you have already read Amanda Soule's newest book, The Rhythm of Family : Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons. I, however, waited patiently on the library's hold list for several months before I got my hands on this one, so I just finally had a chance to read it a couple of weeks ago. And, like all of her other books, it is wonderfully creative and has many sweet ideas.
This book is broken down by months, and the things to make and do are seasonally related. There are some I can't wait to try out, like the nature field bags and field notebooks, as well as her beeswax bobbles and her flower essence lotion. A few seem a little beyond the capabilities of a normal household, or at least WAY beyond my family's capabilities (like making wood-carved leaf stamps) and a few are on the very basic side (like how to pack for a picnic). But, Amanda always has lovely ideas that inspire not only to try out some of her creation, but to create my own ideas that work for my family as well. I just don't know how she manages to mother 5 children, write books, craft and bake a zillion things, and never ever seems like she is stressed out. I need some of her mama-zen!
As with all of Amanda's books, I would highly recommend giving this one a peek (that is, if you haven't done so already!)
     

 

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for info! I haven't seen it yet - got to wait for the library hold...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've drooled over her books at the book store, but haven't seen this one yet. Though I want it! :)I'll have to see if our library has it. I too need some of her mama zen. How does she do it?! SOmetimes, I think, ok....she must be stressed sometimes, and we just see the beautiful blog side. No? Who knows. Maybe that's just me trying to bring her down to my level. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read it yet either but it is on my Christmas list. I like to own her books so I can look back on them from time to time and be re inspired. Plus I cant seem to read a library book fast enough these days,I have to return them before I can finish, too many other things going on perhaps....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got her book at the library as well. I liked the reflective pieces about the seasons. I, however, am extremely craft-challenged. So most of the projects were way beyond my capabilities. I also wonder how she does it. Maybe it's with the help of a very hands-on Soule Papa.

    ReplyDelete