Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Almost 4 and Pirates Galore

As Finn's 4th birthday is on Monday, we opted to have his birthday party today, on Saturday, so that more people could attend. Finn really wanted to have a party outside and at his favorite park. In Portland. In November. Although we so far have had a pretty mild fall, the rains set in a few days ago and today was cold (40 degrees) and lightly raining. Nonetheless, Finn and his fearless friends braved the elements to come out and celebrate at Finn's Pirate Party.
We kept it pretty simple, as the park and nature were the main entertainment, but mama did do some crafty preparations to spice things up. I made Finn a pirate crown, which I needle felted a jolly roger onto. I also made him some pirate flag shorts (which of course he had to wear long johns under today!). For decorations I made a pirate banner, and although decorations didn't do much for the picnic shelter, the banner as well as a couple of pirate flags are now adorning his bunk bed in his room. The pirate spirit lives on! For party favors, I whipped up some pirate-themed fabric bags and filled them with some eye patches I sewed from felt, as well as a few stickers, pencils and small toys.
Find had a great time and I think most of his friends did too, although everyone was a bit cold and ready to head home as soon as it ended. I think next year I will talk Finn into planning something inside.....


Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Pirate Finn! I didn't realize how close in age he and Felicity are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had one ounce of your craftiness! Looks like a great party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute party bags! Sollie had fun and is still talking about the cupcakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like great fun! Happy Birthday to Finn!

    ReplyDelete