Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Cloth Wipes

As part of my plan to reduce my waste, we have been pretty diligent about only using cloth diapers with Phoebe, even when we are out and about. The only exception to this is the one (or sometimes two) disposables that we put on her at night, which allows us all to sleep better and longer. We were using mainly cloth before, but would sometime put on a disposable to head out of the house, and Todd would use them frequently out of ease. But, I have gotten him onto a great routine, and our disposable diaper use has dropped noticeably over the past few weeks. I actually have only bought one pack of diapers in the past few weeks, so this has been a huge savings for us as well as a trash reduction.
If you are already washing cloth diapers, it just make sense to use cloth wipes as well. Better for the environment and WAY cheaper than buying them. I made a new stack of cloth wipes when Phoebe was born and we finally have plenty to last until wash day! Here is my recipe for an easy homemade wipe solution:
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 2 Tbl. baby shampoo
  • 2 Tbl. grapeseed oil (I used baby oil with Finn until I realized that it was made from petroleum! Yuck!)
  • 5 drops calendula oil
I just store this in a tupperware and dip in a cloth wipe as needed! Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. We do cloth wipes as well. I hadn't planned to but after switching to cloth right before Kian was born, it felt strange to be throwing out handfulls of wipes each change. Now we have SOOOOO many as my little girl uses them for #1 at the toilet too. Its easier for her to manage than unrolling just enough TP. And saves more $ there too. And all were made for free from flannel scraps. So simple. So glad we made the switch!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do cloth diapers and wipes as well. I like your solution recipe. I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your wipe solution recipe! I'm highly bothered by different smells since I became pregnant with my son (nearly 4 years ago) and it hasn't gone away. Tea tree oil is something I unfortunately can't stomach and it is the ingredient I found most commonly when trying to find wipe solution recipes. Can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete