Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Our Weekend....

We were very lucky to have a mostly non-rainy weekend, and my family managed to squeeze in a lot of productive time, as well as a lot of fun.
We did a lot of work in the garden digging up old bulbs, planting potatoes, dividing some bee balm.
I also threw together a fence (made from sticks and hemp) as we have had some folks who have been letting their dogs walk into our yard, and onto our planting beds to pee. I have dogs myself, so it's not the dog aspect that bothers me, just the fact that my tiny seedlings may get smashed. And, this fence obviously is not going to actually keep anyone out, I just figured that it subtly sent the message to please keep your pets off of our yard! I hope so anyways.....
We (OK, mostly Todd) also built Finn his very own raised bed in our driveway for him to plant whatever he pleases. We got a wagon full of free dirt from a house down the road, but still have to get a few more loads before it can be planted in.

On Saturday morning, the family (dogs included) headed to nearby Sauvie's Island for a morning of fresh air, napping for some, playing in the sand for others, and Finn's first run at flying a kite! There was just enough wind to get it launched a couple of times....



 After Sauvie's Island we made it to the Farmers Market for some lunch and to grab some produce for dinner. Pickings were sort of slim, as it is still early in the season, but being there made me so excited for the local abundance that will be here soon! And we saw the largest parsnips I have ever seen!
We spent the rest of the weekend doing a HUGE spring organizing of our home and garage (which we use for storage). We put together a carload full of stuff that we no longer need that will be donating, and I spent a lot of time organizing baby clothes and reorganizing the art supply shelf. Not the most exciting of tasks, but it sure feels good to downsize and to feel like our tiny house is a bit more in order.
Now if I can just fit in a little sewing before I fall asleep.... Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment