Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, March 21, 2011

Collapse: A Review

I watched the film Collapse over a month ago and luckily wrote up a review that same day, but haven't yet had a chance to post it. With this tired mama-brain, I would have never remembered enough details to write a review about it!! Anyways, Collapse is a film that is essentially an interview with former LA Police Officer and author Michael Ruppert. The entire film is Ruppert sitting in a room, talking, with snippets of videos cut from news casts, movies and other sources. Ruppert is known as a conspiracy theorist, and his interview does have a very doomsday-ish quality. However, he also knows a lot, and much of what he talks about is very valid (although he does make some future predictions that are a bit questionable...).
His "rant" focuses on fossil fuels, which as we all know, are coming to an end. He links the end of fossil fuels to a collapse in our economy, and eventually to a downfall (and major downsizing) of human population. He ties in population growth, genetically modified seeds, supporting local business, and all sorts of important ideas into his interview, and does a great job of integrating all of these pieces.
I enjoyed this film and felt like it did a really great job summarizing a lot of important facts about fossil fuels and human population... and how life as we know it is definitely going to  change once our cheap source of energy is gone. However, I also felt like the way Ruppert talks was sort of like changing the channel every few minutes while watching tv... he jumped back and forth between ideas and his focus was constantly changing. The few times that the interviewer asked him a question, he would start to answer it and end up talking about something completely different.
So, I guess overall I did really enjoy this movie and I feel like I agree with a lot of what Ruppert discusses. At the same time, however, I felt like they sort of portrayed Ruppert as this crazy person. It was like "here is this really smart guy who has a lot of knowledge and theories, but since he is sort of a crazy person, you may want to question what he tells you". Even though he probably is a bit crazy, and a lot passionate in his beliefs, I side with him on a lot of what he says. I guess we all have a bit of a crazy person in us somewhere.... some of us just hide it better than others. Definitely worth a watch. Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Never heard of this- but will check it out-
    If I'm in the right mood I love me a good conspiracy theorist.
    hope the FOUR of you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete