Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Matching Monsters: A Gift for Grasser

 I have been meaning to make Finn a stuffed monster for a long time.... one inspired by those ugly dolls... but it kept getting pushed farther back on the to-make list. But a few weeks ago I saw a post on Peas and Carrots that showed a hand-made gift of a stuffed monster very similar to what I had been envisioning, and it motivated me to get started on Finn's monster.
Finn helped with the making of the monster by choosing the fabric for the arms and legs, deciding on the number of teeth, and the basic shape and design. So this really was Finn's monster. We also decided that we should make a smaller version for his new sister-to-be (whom he affectionately calls Grasser-- don't worry, that is not actually going to be her name). This mini-monster will be Finn's present to Grasser once she arrives. Finn has named both of the monsters Polar Express.
This was my first time making a stuffed monster, and I learned a lot in the process... I figured out things that I would change if I were to make another (like only using embroidery floss to add the facial features as the double threaded strand kept getting tangled). But, I think they came out pretty cute. Finn is happy with his and excited to present Grasser with her monster once she arrives.


Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. So cute!!!! My friend will be happy to know you were inspired by hers. I love how your son made all the big choices. I'm sure he loves it more because of that. My sister's having a baby and is thinking of doing a "friendly monster" theme in her new son's room so a slew of bitty monsters is on my to do list. We'll see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Taryn, these are adorable!Finn is so creative with his names..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that he named them both Polar Express :)
    So hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete