Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, December 13, 2010

Salt Dough Ornaments


I decided some home-made ornaments would be a good addition to our list of holiday presents this year, so last week, Finn invited a friend over and we set out to make salt-dough ornaments. Here's how you make them:

First, preheat the oven to 200. Then, mix together:
4 cups flour
1 cup salt
1.5 cups hot water

Roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch, and use holiday cookie cutters to cut out your desired shapes. Then (here comes the fun part)- decorate! I mixed together food coloring and water to create a "paint" that could be painted on to the ornaments. Then we topped with glitter. We used a straw to poke a hole near the top of each one that can be used later to run a ribbon through and hang the ornament. Then we baked them in the oven for about 45 minutes.

I let Finn pick out one to keep for himself and he was ecstatic to hang it from our tree. When he woke up the next morning, the first thing he did was to run to the tree to look at his ornament.... which wasn't there. Then a light went on in my head... our puppy Moshi got out of bed twice in the night to drink copious amounts of water, and needed to go outside in the middle of the night as well (both of which are not her normal routine).. I was worried that something was wrong with her.... until we discovered that the salty-cookie looking thing hanging from a low branch on the tree was gone. I am now keeping my eyes peeled for a dog poop full of red glitter! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment