Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Spelt-Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies


I guess this pregnancy has made me food-obsessed or something, because my last 3 posts have all been about food! Anyways, today I experimented with my regular oatmeal cookie recipe and decided to switch the refined flour out for a whole grain version. I decided to use spelt flour (spelt is an ancient form of wheat), and they came out great! I thought I would share the recipe with you here:

What You Need:
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3/4 cup whole-grain spelt flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional?)
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked whole oats
What You Do:
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Beat butter and sugars until smooth. Add egg and vanilla.
  • Mix flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add to butter mixture.
  • Gently mix in oats and chocolate chips
  • Drop tablespoons of dough onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
These cookies are delicious, but the spelt flour does make them have a slightly different texture; more chewy than regular cookies. So, I found they were a little more difficult to get off of the cookie sheet without falling apart, but they sure do taste delicious! Plus the whole grains give them more fiber and protein, so you can feel a little less guilty enjoying them.
This recipe makes a fairly small batch... enough for a family. If you plan on sharing, I would double it! Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. These sound so tasty! I"m so glad to find someone else who bakes with whole grain flour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made these for kids this afternoon. Very good!!

    ReplyDelete