Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, September 20, 2010

Nature Art

Over the past few days we have been noticing the first changes into autumn... cooler crisper mornings, and the changing of some of the leaves on the trees. These changes have made us more aware of our natural surroundings, and in doing so, were an inspiration to create some nature art!

Some painted river rocks that will brighten up our garden on the dreariest of days. We used acrylic paints so the paint wouldn't wash off in the rain, which also meant it wouldn't wash off of anything else that it got on. We were very, very careful doing this project.

The rocks have been fun decorations, useful paperweights, and fun to stack. We hope to make another round next spring to add to our garden.

This morning, we did some bark rubbings from trees on our street (inspired by My Big World of Wonder) and then talked about how they were different.

Finn also made a collage of treasures that he found on a morning walk. I think the objects really show that autumn is on its way! He wanted to include a roly-poly bug, but I have a rule that we can't collect anything alive or pick anything living.

Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. Great projects- my monkeys LOVE to paint rocks too-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these ideas. I'm keen to try the painting rocks project. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to chuckle at the thought of a roly-poly bug glued to the paper...not a good way to start his day. :) I really like his collection.

    ReplyDelete