Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Neice's Second Birthday

My sister's daughter just celebrated her second birthday. Months ago (like in February), I decided I was going to give her a completely handmade birthday gift, and, at that time, I bought all of the necessary supplies to make her gifts. Then I procrastinated, put it off, figuring I had tons of time. Then I got pregnant and spent week after week feeling miserable and trying to get enough energy to finish her gifts. This is when I realized that there is nothing like some pressure to give you the boost to get things done. I completed these presents into the wee hours one night and priority mailed them to arrive just in the nick of time.

Here is her felted wool birthday crown! I got the basic pattern from my crafty friend Wintry who makes adorable birthday crowns as gifts and to sell. I was hoping to adorn the crown with some needle-felted designs, but since I was doing this so last minute, I just had to knit in some designs before I felted it. Some good instructions for how to felt a knitted project can be found here.

Next I made her bean bags with her name stenciled on. I have already shown a set of these that I made for my son, and included a link to some instruction on a previous post.

However, this time, to prevent the paint from bleeding, I ironed a piece of freezer paper onto the BACK side of the stencil.

There was still a tiny amount of bleeding around the edges of some letters, but I thought it was a great improvement from my first set! Next time I think I may try a different brand of fabric paint as well....

And I also threw in a few homemade super-star recycled crayons. I have already posted instructions for these on a previous post. We have a great little used art supply store where I can buy a bag of broken crayons for 50-cents and this is a great way to turn them into a new treasure.

And no birthday gift would be completed with a birthday painting from Finn!


Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. That is so cute- You are such a great mommy and autie- I love the crayon's- so cute!

    The bean bags are great too- I do remember seeing them here.

    Hope you are feeling good! all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crown turned out great!! Where did you get the star mold for the crayons? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I ordered the star mold from amazon... you can borrow it if you want!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful gifts! Homemade gifts are the ultimate show of love, me thinks!

    ReplyDelete