Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Learn an Herb: Lemon Balm

Lemon Balm has been springing up and thriving everywhere in my yard this year. I know that many would consider it to be a "weed", but it smells delightful and has many reported uses (none of which I have yet tried!)
Lemon Balm is a member of the mint family, but it smells lemony and not at all minty. It is reported to have calming properties, decreasing anxiety and promoting sleep. It can also help reduce indigestion. A cup of lemon balm tea after dinner sounds like a perfect idea!
Lemon balm also has antibacterial properties and can inhibit bacteria and viruses. It can be used topically for treatment of eczema and cold sores, and a fresh leaf can be placed over bug bites. It also helps to repel pesky insects like mosquitoes!
I have also found some evidence that links use of lemon balm to improvements in asthma and bronchitis. Additionally, lemon balm can be a great culinary addition.
This herb is not recommended for medicinal use during pregnancy (culinary use is fine). Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. We have some mammoth Lemon balm in our back yard! I wish I knew what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete