Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Friday, June 11, 2010

Rain, Pennies and Puddles

As of yesterday, Portland had reached record rainfall for June. And this was on June 9th.... I am nervous about my garden and am wondering if my potatoes are rotting and I haven't been motivated to do a lot of the work that I should be doing because, let's face it, gardening in the rain isn't much fun.
A few days ago, I posted a blog about how the slugs are decimating my garden, and I mentioned that I have been encircling plants with pennies to deter slugs from eating them.... and the verdict is: It seems to be working!! Hooray!

Here is a penny circle around a seed I planted (so no seedling yet). These penny-circles have been protecting established seedling as well.. however, I am not sharing any picture as there was so much prior damage that you honestly can't tell it has been working. But it is! I have not found one slug within a circle yet!

And for now, we will try to enjoy the rain as much as we can,

And maybe we can splash our way to drier days.
Our weekend forecast is looking promising!!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment