Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Thursday, June 10, 2010

My 2010 Summer Reading List; Won't You Join Me?


For those of us who teach (or go to school) for a living, summer begins when school lets out. Since I teach community college, I still do teach during the summer term, but I teach only 1 class instead of 2 or 3 and the atmosphere is a bit more relaxed. Plus, I get a week off between spring and summer term and almost a month off between summer and fall terms, so I, just like any of the students, am antsy for my summer to begin!
Summer for me means more time outside and more time for me. Well, sort of. It is hard to have very much "me" time with a 2-year old, but it is more fun none-the-less. Anyways, I am hoping to find (or make) some time to get in a lot of reading this summer. There are quite a few books I have been meaning to read for ages, and some others that really pertain to the topic of sustainability, which is what I teach and how I am trying to live.
I am the type of reader who always seems to be reading 5 or 6 different books at once, which means that I need to finish up the stack of books that I am already reading before I can tackle any on my summer wish list. And, I know a few of the books on my list are a bit long and involved (hello Anna K), but I am going to see if I can meet my challenge.
My summer begins tomorrow (as soon as I give and grade a final for 32 students). If you are a reader (or not) and want to challenge yourself to a summer reading list, join me in creating a summer reading list, reading, and share what you learn!
Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. Let me know what you think of The Lacuna by Kingsolver. I have loved all her books, but cannot get through this one.

    I was just thinking of all the books I want to read this summer...but not sure THIS summer is really going to be my reading summer! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read some pretty mediocre reviews of The Lacuna, but since I have read everything else of hers (except Pigs in Heaven) I figured I would give it a shot!
    This summer probably won't be your summer of reading, but who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I am such a wishy washy reader that I could never get through a list...I am like you with 5 books going at the same time. I can't even check books out at the library bc I won't finish it before it is time to be returned. Anyway, I do love reading and maybe when the kids get older it will be something I am more committed to! Enjoy your summer reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOVE summer reading lists, always have. working on mine now.
    A Walk in the Woods
    Far from the Madding Crowd
    East of Eden

    i read Water for Elephants and loved it. thanks for the list.
    happy reading!

    ReplyDelete