Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, May 24, 2010

Freezer Paper Stenciled Bean Bags


This weekend I finished up some bean bags for Finn. I got the idea from Lil Blue Boo, and she actually has a great bean bag tutorial on her page. The biggest challenge for me was stenciling the letters of his name onto the scraps of fabric... when you use fabric paint on a t-shirt, the material is absorbent. When you are stenciling onto these cotton prints, however, they are not absorbent, and the paint will easily run if you put too much on at one time (this was actually my second attempt, as the first round looked awful). This time I used a sponge to apply the fabric paint (instead of a brush) and I also kept a rag behind each square as I painted it to help absorb extra... the letters still ran a tiny bit in a few places, but it was acceptable enough for me. Finn loves them (and even slept with the "F" last night) but they have become a weapon of sorts as well. Be careful not to make them too heavy! Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I came from Lil Blue Boo to check out your bean bags...great job! I hope mine come out as nicely as yours. I love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I would love to see yours when you get finished!!

    ReplyDelete