Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day!



In celebration of St. Patrick's Day (yes, I am part Irish), I decided to make some fabric shamrocks to decorate our holiday "tree". (Our "tree" is simply a collection of branches arranged in a vase, with glass rocks at the bottom to hold the branches in place). The lighting in our house is awful, especially on rainy days like today, so these pictures are not the greatest.. but I think you can get the idea.
To create this tree hangings, I made a shamrock cutout from sturdy paper and traced in onto a few different green-colored fabric scraps that I had i the fabric bin. Before tracing, I folded each type of fabric in half, so that I would have 2 identical shamrocks of each type (you want them to match up when the shamrocks are placed together with the pattern facing out). Place your identical shamrocks together, with the pattern facing out, and use a sewing machine (or hand-stitch if you have the patience!) to sew the outer edges together. Leave a gap on one of the petals so that you can put some stuffing in later. Don't leave the opening on the stem or you will have a hard time getting it stuffed and then re-stitching. After you have sewn your shamrocks together, use some stuffing to give the shamrocks a little bit of bulk. It may help to use the eraser end of a pencil to push the stuffing into the nooks and crannies! After stuffing, use your machine or hand-sew the gap together. Thread some green yarn or ribbon onto a needle with a big eye. Use this to create a loop to hang the tree decorations. I just pulled the yarn through the top of each shamrock leaving about 3-4 inches of yarn on each side. Then I used this yard to tie the shamrocks to our tree. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment