Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Make Your "Back-to-School" Toxin-Free


Summer is nearing an end and the new school year is right around the corner (yikes!) Before you go out and purchase new school supplies, it's time for a little run-down on the safety of these products. Many common school supplies are made from PVC (plastic #3). This type of plastic has a whole slew of health concerns and environmental problems that come with it, yet no one seems to talk about these serious issues.
I promise that I will blog about PVC very soon (it deserves an entry all of its own). But, for now, take my word on it that the less PVC in your life, the better.
Check here to see which school supplies contain PVC. And to sign a petition banning PVCs in school supplies, or to get more info on the dangers of PVCs, check out the Center for Health, Environment and Justice.
In addition to buying PVC-free, also try to only buy what you need. Do you have markers and notebooks from last year to get you through another school year? What about making your own notebook from used paper? I have had success finding used (but still usable) school supplies at my local Reuse store and in free-boxes around town. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment